Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

my ma-maw

last week i got to help my ma-maw move.
it was the most time i have spent with her since i was in elementary school.
 
some things i noticed while i was with her:
 
she is the only person i know who genuinely wants everyone else to be happy-
no matter what her feelings are.
i want to be able to love people just like that.
 
a cute pitcher that my mom made for ma-maw now sits on my mantle.
 
stuff.
oh, stuff.
all the stuff our culture tells us we need.
what a big fat lie!
my ma-maw had to down-size, which meant she had to get rid of some things.
she really didn't have that much anyways,
but it just proved to me what i already knew.
all the stuff is not worth my time or money or energy.
 
a beautiful quilt my great-grandmother made.
and decorating.
have you ever noticed how older people fill their homes with things that have meaning.
i'm talking grandma style here.
their homes are not anything we would see in better homes and gardens or pottery barn.
but, their homes are so welcoming, inviting and warm.
that is what i want my home to feel like.

he's eating out of an old tin measuring cup.
i'm so thankful i had the time to spend with ma-maw
and for the things she taught me.

No comments: